Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    Martine and I are not married. We have lived together for eight years and have twins who are four years old. Martine is tired and fed up and wants to move out on her own. We have agreed that I will have custody of the twins. Will Martine have to pay child support?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    Yes. The amount of support will be set under the Child Support Guidelines. The amount will be based on Martine's income. Children have a right to financial support from both their parents, whether or not their parents are married. Common law couples have the same responsibilities to their children as married couples do.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner