Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    I was a single mother, looking after my three-year-old son, when I married Jason five years ago. We all got along great until a few months ago. Now I think we're headed for a separation. If we do split, does Jason have to pay any child support for my son?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    If Jason accepted the responsibilities of being a parent to your son, you have a right to ask him to pay child support, even though he is not your son's biological father. A judge could decide if Jason had, in fact, treated your son as his own and had accepted the responsibilities of being a parent. If so, the judge would then look at Jason's income and set the support according to the Guidelines.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner