Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    When my wife died, I received a death benefit payment from her life insurance company. I used the money to pay for funeral expenses. Now that I have had a chance to figure things out, I would like to divide the family property using the rules that apply to the sharing of family property on separation. Is it too late?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    No. You can still use the rules that apply on separation to divide the family property. You must subtract the amount of the insurance payment from the equalization payment you are to receive from your spouse's estate, unless she specified, in writing, that you can receive the insurance proceeds and the equalization payment. You can ask the estate to reimburse you for the funeral costs.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner