Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    I have a modest income. However, I am supported by my parents who are better off than me. I receive a few hundred dollars from them monthly and have been for years. My wife an I just separated. We have two children who reside with their mother. In calculating child and spousal support I've been told that the law only looks at my tax return and my job slips. Is that correct?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    No. It's not correct. The courts have interpreted the Child Support Guidelines
    and spousal support laws to include all sources of revenue from one or more sources,
    even if it is a gift then those monies are considered "income" for child or spousal support
    law, even though you haven't "earned" it. The policy behind these court decisions for
    child support began with the Supreme Court of Canada decision called Willick. Willick
    states that a child's lifestyle should not be any different than that of the payer (usually his
    father), and many courts have since ruled that it doesn't matter how that lifestyle was
    created. However, a lady, the impact of this principle works both ways. The person
    asking for child support must also declare any periodic gifts of support received from
    third parties, usually parents or lovers, when making such a claim, as art of their
    "income." Most taxpayers don't associate such gifts as income because the money is not
    earned. But this is a family law, not income tax law. If the gift is an isolated display of
    kindness or for a specific purpose, such as to assist a poor person with legal fees. It may
    not form part of income. However, id you're one of those payers who think you can hide
    behind your income tax return at $30,000 yearly while driving that turquoise Porsche
    with GPS and supple leather seats that your dad leases for you, think again. The courts
    aren't stupid. Oh, and if you're claiming in court for spousal support because of a tiny
    income while your ex-husband is earning a modest one, just remember one thing. It's
    going to be tough to hide those monthly credit card statements showing regular
    transactions with Holt Renfrew or the local spa for that certain masseur, pedicure and
    facials paid by your mother.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner