Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    I have been married for 25 years. I know nothing about my husband's successful construction business and have not worked for several years. We live in a big house. I have no idea where to turn or how I am to survive. I know he makes a decent six figure income. Or house is not entirely paid for and our kids are still in university. What happens to me?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    You are both going to suffer a substantial change for the worse in your prospective
    lifestyles. The husband will likely have to split his after-tax income equally after such a
    lengthy marriage until his wife remarries or cohabits for a while with another income
    supporting partner, or until she dies, or until he retires. This support obligation is, however, tax
    deductable and continues until retirement unless his circumstances change, like illness or a loss
    of employment or reduction of income for some other reason beyond his control. So quitting
    work doesn't qualify. The house will likely be sold and the net proceeds split equally. The
    timing of the sale depends in part on the needs of your children and where they go to
    university. The value of all assets, except the value of any premarital assets and inheritances,
    will be split equally, including the post marital value of the husband's business, as will post
    marital debts, valued as of the date of separation. The law encourages the wife to be retrained
    and to be reintegrated into the work force, but it is rare that the courts follow up on enforcing
    such an obligation after such a lengthy marriage. After 25 years, the wife almost has a
    permanent pension from her husband if she was not working for several years. The husband
    will also be obligated to support the kids until they obtain their first undergraduate degree,
    including tuition, books and incidentals.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner