Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    I was married and divorced outside of Canada (both were in the United States). Do I still need to go through the same process as people who married in Canada and divorced elsewhere when I remarry? Or can I just apply directly for a marriage license because both events happened outside of the country?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    You can still get married in Ontario, but you require a legal opinion from an
    Ontario lawyer in a certain form that needs to be filed with the Ontario Registrar General
    that your foreign divorce is recognized under Canadian Law. For instance, under
    Canadian law, you can't just fly to Las Vegas, get a "quick divorce" come back to
    Toronto and then remarry. You must stay in Nevada for one year and then get divorced
    there before Canadian law recognizes the Nevada Court's authority to grant such a

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner