Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    I'm writing because I was married and divorced outside of Canada (both events were in the United States). Do I still need to go through process as people who married in Canada and divorced elsewhere when I remarry? Or can I just apply directly for a marriage license because both events happened outside the country?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    You can apply directly to the Registrar of Ontario for an Ontario marriage license
    application that you must take to a competent family law lawyer. That lawyer must give you a
    "legal opinion" in a form prescribed by the Ontario government that certifies that you were
    domiciled in the jurisdiction that granted you the foreign divorce for at least one year prior to
    the granting of the Divorce Order. Otherwise, you could have simply flown to Las Vegas and
    obtain a weekend divorce. A lawyer will charge you a fee for such an opinion since he or she
    has to verify your identity, examine your passport and proof of domicile on that foreign
    jurisdiction for at least one year. He then also has to complete the Ontario legal opinion, which
    must be completed in a particular format. You then file that opinion with the rest of your
    marriage application to obtain the Ontario marriage license.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner