Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    My boyfriend's name appears on my son's birth certificate even though he is not the father. We are no longer together. What are his rights and how do I get him off the certificate?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    I assume that the gentleman is not being co-operative. This means that
    he has bonded with the boy emotionally. If that is the case, it may not matter
    much that he is not the biological father of the child. So it's not so easy to dismiss
    a claim for access by a "psychological dad". On the other hand, if the gentleman
    was simply doing you a favour at the time and really has no bond with the child,
    you can take the following steps, assuming he doesn't oppose. Get a court order
    for DNA through cheek swab tests, another court order to declare he is not the
    father and then have the birth certificate amended with the Registrar of Ontario.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner