Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    My daughter turned 18 years old in March 2006. She also had a baby in March 2006. She was on welfare, up until she started receiving child support (which exceeded the welfare amount) for her baby. Am I still required to pay the mother of my daughter support, since my daughter is now being supported? Some background; The mother dropped out of school in 2004 but is now in a correspondence course. She claims to live at home with her mother, although I know she doesn't (I can't prove it though). When does my obligation end?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    If she receives child I support herself, it's questionable that she is still dependent upon
    her own mother, especially if she is receiving more from the father of the child than she would
    be receiving from welfare. If she's not in school and is not working, then she now has her own
    source of income. Her mother likely no longer has a claim to child support. However, the law
    that says you may have to keep supporting her through her mother says that your obligation
    stops when she is no longer a "child of the marriage" under the Divorce Act, meaning she i no
    longer dependent. If the amount she receives in child support while living with you ex is
    insufficient to meet her needs, your ex may have an argument that5 you need to keep paying.
    Much depends on how much you daughter received in support. But your ex will still have a
    difficult argument. In order to qualify as a dependant child, while not in school or working,
    your ex would normally have to show that your daughter is ill or emotionally or mentally
    challenged. In any event, if you are paying your ex through Family Responsibility Office by
    court order, you will need to make a court application to stop payments ? you can't just stop

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner