Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    My ex-boyfriend's name appears on my son's birth certificate even though he is not the father. We are no longer together. What are his rights and how do I get him off the certificate?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    I assume that the gentleman is not being co-operative. This means that he has bonded with the boy
    emotionally. If that is the case, it may not matter much that he is not the biological father of the child. So it's not
    so easy to dismiss a claim for access by a "psychological dad".
    On the other hand, if the gentleman was simply doing you a favour at the time and really has no bond with the
    child, you can take the following steps, assuming he doesn't oppose. Get a court order for DNA through cheek
    swab tests, another court order to declare he is not the father and then have the birth certificate amended with
    the Registrar of Ontario.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner