Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    My wife has committed adultery after 15 years of marriage. However, she's not living with her penniless lover and is not working. Her parents give her stable yearly cash "gifts." Do I have to pay spousal support?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    The law still expects you to support her, even though she's committed
    adultery. However, the gifts from her parents are considered in family law to be
    "income," even though they are not taxable. So you may be off the hook, or at
    least partially relieved from paying spousal support.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner