Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    What if the defendant does not take the document from me?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    If the defendant will not physically accept the document, you can leave it at their feet. Don't leave the papers in the mailbox or with someone else. Make detailed notes describing the circumstances, for example, the name or a description of the person you served, the date, time, location, etc.

    You can have a friend or relative serve the defendant personally. You may choose to hire a professional process server. If you win, the judge usually allows you to be reimbursed for the money you spent serving the defendant, so keep your receipts.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner