Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    Who pays child support?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    A spouse or former spouse may be ordered to pay child support to the parent who has the custody or daily care and control of the child. An order for support can be made even in the absence of any actual order for custody or joint custody.

    The party ordered to pay child support does not have to be the spouse or former spouse of the receiving party. Under the OntarioFamily Law Act, any person who has shown a ?settled intention to treat a child as a child of his or her family? may be ordered to pay support. Recently the Ontario Courts have ruled that grandparents, under certain circumstances, may also be liable for child support.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner