Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    How do I enforce a spousal support payment?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    Like enforcement of child support, in Ontario all orders for support are registered with the Family Support Plan. Payments must be made to the Plan which then sends the payment to the recipient. Defaults are dealt with by the Plan, although every province or territory has its own enforcement provisions. Recently in Ontario there has been a huge backlog such that payments which have been made by people ordered to make them have been received but not processed or forwarded to the recipient for weeks or longer. The provincial government claims to be sensitive to this problem and has declared its intention to clean it up.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner