Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    How does family property, or matrimonial property, get divided?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    Each province and territory deals with the division of property upon separation and divorce differently and you should consult with a family law lawyer in your jurisdiction. In Ontario the Family Law Act governs how people deal with property upon separation and divorce. Generally, property is left in the hands of the owner and not dealt with directly. Instead, equalization payments will be ordered to ensure an equitable division between the parties.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner