Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    What is an "equalization payment"?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    When spouses in Ontario separate there is no division of property - but there is a calculation made to determine how much money the person whose net asset value has increased most during the marriage should pay to the other so that they each end up with assets of equal value for the period of their marriage. This payment is called an equalization payment.

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner