Find a lawyer to help you answer your legal questions.

  • My Legal Briefcase

    What if my licensed contractor cannot pay?
    Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$post_date in /var/www/webapp/ui/mlb_faq.php on line 96

    If there is a violation of licensing law, you can sue the company that holds the licensing bond by naming them as a defendant. The licensing law is contained in the Business and Professions Code, division 3, chapter 9 (starting at section 7000). It is important to make sure that the judge writes a statement of decision that specifically mentions the law that was violated. You can get the name of the bonding company by contacting the Contractors State License Board, either by phone at 1-800-321-2752 or online.
    The bonding company is considered to be a guarantor and therefore can only be sued for up to $6,500 ($2,500 if they do not charge for the guarantee and ($4,000 if you are not a natural person).

    Disclaimer: Content on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute a legal advice.

Document Banner